Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Here Comes the (Next) Spider-Man

Well, here we go again.

Just over five years ago, I posted about the casting of actor Andrew Garfield as the new Spider-Man/Peter Parker in director Marc Webb's then-upcoming reboot. Honestly, I feel like I can basically repost what I said then with a few minor tweaks, but lest we bury the lede: After months of speculation (not to mention a ticking clock), nineteen-year-old Brit Tom Holland is Sony and Marvel's pick for the upcoming (second!) Spider-Man reboot, this time as part of the shared Marvel Cinematic Universe. After making his Spidey debut in next summer's Captain America: Civil War, Holland will segue into a 2017 solo vehicle in 2017, to be directed by Clown's Jon Watts.

Now, here's what I said in 2010, when the word first broke that Garfield had been cast:
Suddenly, Spider-Man isn't the Rolls-Royce of superhero sagas anymore. Instead, there's a "been there, done that" vibe hanging over the whole thing that the Webb-Garfield Spider-Man has to combat, and it'll be an uphill climb considering the other genre fare that are competing for mental real estate during the summer 2012 release cycle. Let's see what happens.
Subsitute "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" for "Spider-Man 3" and "Watts-Holland" for "Webb-Garfield," and you've basically got the lay of the land going into this third try at getting Spidey juuuust right. I haven't seen any of Holland or Watts' work, so can't speak to that, but given the apathy much of the mainstream audience likely feels towards this, and given how important this franchise is to Sony's financial health, the biggest arrow in their quiver right now is the imprimatur granted by the fact that *this* Spider-Man will get to rub shoulders with his fellow Marvel superheroes. As I said then, let's see what happens.

No comments: