Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Raimi on Aborted Spider-Man 4

With The Amazing Spider-Man 2 now ensconced in filming, we're well and truly enveloped in the rebooted Spidey franchise, but not too long ago, the hope had been for director Sam Raimi and star Tobey Maguire to return to the series and hopefully clean up the mess left by movie three. That didn't end up happening, and while Raimi moved on to Drag Me To Hell and this Friday's Oz the Great and Powerful (more on that soon), how Raimi's fourth Spider-flick fell apart has always been an open question -- until now. In a revealing chat with The Vulture about Oz, the director finally opens up with regards to Spidey 4's quick collapse:
It really was the most amicable and undramatic of breakups: It was simply that we had a deadline and I couldn't get the story to work on a level that I wanted it to work. I was very unhappy with Spider-Man 3, and I wanted to make Spider-Man 4 to end on a very high note, the best Spider-Man of them all. But I couldn't get the script together in time, due to my own failings, and I said to Sony, "I don't want to make a movie that is less than great, so I think we shouldn't make this picture. Go ahead with your reboot, which you've been planning anyway." And [Sony co-chairman] Amy Pascal said, "Thank you. Thank you for not wasting the studio's money, and I appreciate your candor." So we left on the best of terms, both of us trying to do the best thing for fans, the good name of Spider-Man, and Sony Studios.
Even though (as revealed in a previous interview) he has yet to see Amazing, he does seem perfectly content with how things went down. For more on Spider-Man 4, including a nugget about who he intended to cast, plus thoughts on Oz and a variety of other projects, be sure to read the whole thing here.

(Source: The Vulture)

No comments: